39 Great North Rd, St John’s Hill
“St Chad’s is a small friendly Church on St Johns Hill with a traditional service at 9.45am which is meaningful for the 40-50 worshippers who attend twice a month.
We fellowship over morning tea and are very supportive of each other.”
Services at St Chad’s 9.45am each Sunday.
Eucharist service using the New Zealand Prayer Book and Mission Praise.
In 1924 the parish received the gift of a site on St John’s Hill from Mrs Ellen Ballance, widow of the late Rt Hon John Balance, 14th Premier of New Zealand. Mrs Ballance died in 1935 at the age of about 88 years, having survived her husband by 42 years. In 1927 St Chad’s was built on the site by Messrs. Gilbertson. The final payment on the building was able to be made in 1931. The building is quite simple in appearance; the interior is enhanced by three memorial stained glass windows. In more recent times, the church building has been extended and the entranceway modified. In 1980 a driveway was installed with a carpark at the top.