Christ Church, Whanganui
Christ Church and Community Centre, 243 Wicksteed Street.
Two services are held each Sunday morning, except for the 5th Sunday:
9am: Communion service using the New Zealand Prayer Book.
10:30am: Family service, contemporary worship. Communion is celebrated on the 2nd & 4th Sundays
5th Sunday, 10am: A combined communion service held at 10am.
Sunday Evening Praise:
Usually the 4th Sunday of each month at 7pm. Check the newsletter for details.
In addition, we participate in the Whanganui combined churches praise meetings, normally 4th Sunday at 6:30pm. Venue varies – check newsletter for details.
Christ Church Community Centre
Alongside the church is the Christ Church Community Centre. This modern facility has an Upper Lounge (suitable for events of up to about 50 people) and a Lower Lounge/Hall (suitable for events of up to about 100). The Lower Lounge/Hall has a substantial kitchen facility. The Centre is well used by various community groups, and is available for hire on a permanent or casual basis.
There is a 10 amp outdoor E.V.plug to charge electric vehicles on the wall outside the Upper Lounge of the Community Centre. It covers the two car parks closest to the CC building. If you would like to use this facility, please contact the parish office to purchase a key and to learn how to pay. The plug will be available for use by all parishioners and visitors to the church or hall.
Enquiries to the office, 345 7723 or to Philip, 022 0103405.
There is now a key available in the Vestry if required out of office hours. Please ask a clergy member.
The present Christ Church is the third so-named. The first (1844) and second (1866) were located in Victoria Avenue (below the Savage Club; a memorial plaque is visible on Victoria Ave near the present Warehouse Stationery). The second Christ Church was relocated to become St Peter’s when the present Christ Church was opened in 1920.
The present Christ Church was built in 1920. It was originally intended to only be the Sunday School building to accompany a new church building in Takaka marble and Oamaru stone seating 1,000 people. The idea was that the Sunday School building would be used as a temporary church, while money accumulated for the larger church proposed. The larger church was never to eventuate. The church was built by Messrs. Walpole and Patterson to plans by architect H M Helm.
Three long lancet windows were added in memory of early clergy. These were the work of Cox and Sons of Southhampton. Each is divided into three sections. The resulting 9 illustrations are (from left top to right bottom): an angel protecting Daniel from the lions, an angel ministering to Jesus, the release of St Peter from prison, Jesus healing the sick, Jesus carrying in the lost lamb, Jesus restoring sight to the blind, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, ministering to the sick.